December 3, 2009

Malargüe! You lucky dog, you!

Howdy!

So, biggest news: I am NOT in Rivadavia. President made some last minute changes. I am now in Malargüe, about the most alone town in the mission. I got to go to the offices and do nothing all day until my bus left at 4:30 in the evening. I didn’t get in until 11 PM. Gack. I hate long bus rides. At least the movies were not horrible Argentine sexy things. Rush Hour and Rocky Balboa. Both pretty good movies.

My new companion is Elder Tillery from Alaska. He has six months remaining in his mission. He was previously the Mission Historian, and now we’re trying to do missionary work while fixing up the branch’s horrible secretarial work. There are two other elders in Malargüe, Elder Lucas (Texas) and Elder Rojas (Chile). Both have six months on the mission. Malargüe, as the members will tell you, is a place where missionaries come to be born or to die.

It’s a pretty little town. Small. One branch. Very touristy. Very expensive because everything has to be shipped way out of the way to get here. We’re up in the mountains. I would’ve sent a picture, but haven’t taken one yet. The mountains here are always snow-capped. I'm lucky, though. I spent the winter in the warm (hot) place, and now am spending the summer in the cool place.

There was a surprise baptism on Thursday, but for the other elders. Our division is an arbitrary line that we alter as needed, as we are both working in the same branch. Yesterday we were going to knock a big, nice looking house, only to discover that it is, in fact, an abandoned train station. It would make a very nice house, or bed and breakfast. You could probably make a bundle on that in the winter, as we are very close to one of the largest ski resorts in Argentina, Las Leñas.

Other than that, not much going on. Body’s adjusting to the new climate. That’s my least favorite part of going to a completely new area. I should be alright by next week. But, I’m happy. Everyone wants to go to Malargüe, and now I have been to all parts of the mission. San Luis, San Juan, Mendoza, and the south of Mendoza.

There was a Thanksgiving Feast with President and Hermana Lindahl, but only for the Zone that won a competition. We did not win, so I didn’t do anything. I had ... Um... Something for lunch, I don’t remember what. Elder Lucas tried to get a chicken, but failed until Saturday.

Not much else to tell you. I think I’ll be able to print off the Jerusalem application here, so no worries.

Love,
Will