October 8, 2008

¡¡¡Conferencia General!!

Wow! What a General Conference! That was the most hard-lined Conference that I can remember. There were fewer jokes than I have ever seen. Especially in Priesthood Session. But it was just so strong. Huzzah for new Temples! For those who missed it, here’s a list of the new Temples:

1) Somewhere in Alberta, Canada
2) CORDOBA, ARGENTINA (This is great news for the Mission. A new Temple in just the next mission over. It makes Temple trips for the Members much, much easier. Now they will no longer have to make the huge trip to Buenos Aires or the expensive and still longish one to Santiago, Chile. Cordoba is still a good long ways away from Villa Mercedes (the second farthest area away in our mission. The first is Justo Daract, 20 minutes from Mercedes). But it makes the Temple infinitely more accessible to the less well-off members.)
3) Kansas City Area, USA
4) Philadelphia, PA, USA (I don’t know why exactly, but this is the newly announced Temple that I am most excited about.)
5) Rome, Italy (I very much enjoyed this announcement. I laughed at all the gasps in the Conference Center. Then laughed more when they realized how silly they were being and laughed at themselves.)

To answer a question that may be asked: yes, I get to watch Conference in English. Well, I do when there are the facilities and another Elder to watch with me. And there were.

Elder Aidukaitis continues to amaze me. He is one of my new favorites. He is a newly called Seventy who gives talks just like a member of the Twelve. He is a great man who knows what he is talking about.

But, enough about Conference. Everybody reading this can just watch/listen/read it yourselves and get your own opinions.

On the bus yesterday I looked out the window and saw something that made me chuckle. I’m sure it didn’t actually say this, but it looked like it. I saw a sign that said “Abogados – Cantadores” which, being interpreted (can you tell I’m reading the New Testament?) is “Singing Lawyers”. I’ll let your imaginations go with this for a little while.

Finished? Good. Other than that, not much more going on here. Just going back to work. None of our investigators ever go to Church, even when they say they will. This makes me sad. It makes me remember my birthday parties in High School. If I had had birthday parties in High School. Invite everybody, but end up just having the two of us at the party. Rather depressing. But I don’t let it get me down. We keep trying. And so we must if Zion is to go forth and grow.

And now it’s time for the Magical Musical Moment of Argentine Culturestuffs. Milk. And yogurt. Those are the topics today. There are no jugs of milk. Milk and yogurt both come in 1 liter bags. So, once you open it you put the bag in the bottom part of a cut-apart gaseosa (soda) bottle. Yogurt also comes in cups, but it’s more expensive. And the bag yogurt is a drinkable yogurt. But much better than the drinkable yogurt in the States.

For those expecting a letter, I apologize. I will not be able to send them until after the next Zone Conference. Sorry.

Until next week,
Elder Budge

No comments: