July 22, 2008

Gettin' (Spiritually) Strong Now!

Well, here we are again. P-day of week six. Wow. I've been here for almost five complete weeks. I'm starting to forget the outside world. Actually, that's kinda true... :S

Anyway, I have noticed something during my weeks here. There seems to be an unofficial theme song of the MTC. No, it's not "Called to Serve." It's not even Church related at all. It's the Rocky theme song. Kinda weird, I know, but everybody sings it at least once here. Usually before the weekly Teaching Appointment or before going to the Referral Center. I know I sing it about every day. Maybe it's just my district, but I think I've heard other missionaries do it too.



This week was pretty good. I got to do a chat for the first time at the RC this week. That was really cool. I talked for fifty minutes with this woman. She started the whole thing off by asking me how I know that the Church is true. Then we got on the Book of Mormon. The biggest problem she had with it was that she has issues with corrupt leaders (in this case the writer[s] of the Book of Mormon). So, I gave her the example of King Benjamin and the reference of his address. She said that she'd check out the BoM from her library that night. I told her that she could just order her own for free at the bottom of the page. She did that after I convinced her that all that would happen is that she might get a phone call making sure that she got the book. After that she asked me about the Church services.

She asked who could take the sacrament. She said that she was using "Mormonism for Dummies" as a reference and that it probably wasn't a good resource. I, being who I am and reading random books I find in Barnes & Nobel, knew that it was actually a very good resource because it was written by a couple of "Ensign" editors, and I let her know that. By the end she had committed to go to Church that week. I wish that I could have talked with her some more, but I had to go to dinner, so I transfered her.

The Temple is open again. Huzzah! It makes P-day so much better.

Um... I forget how much I've said about my teachers, so I'll say some more. Hermano Mortimer is hilarious. He makes the same faces and vocal inflections as Jack Black. It's very entertaining. Then there's Hermano Pearson. He's kinda fun, he's way more serious, though. But he lets us play fun games sometimes. He got married a couple weeks ago so he was gone for a while. While he was gone we had Hermano Gonzales. He's hilarious. He's from Chile, so we got to learn idioms and things. He didn't care too much about lesson plans, so we pretty much just learned what he felt like teaching.

Um. That's about it for this week. I continue hoping (as I am doing laundry right now) that my laundry will fare the way it did my first week.

Until next week,
Elder Budge