July 8, 2008

On Roommates, the 4th of July, Illness, Leadership, and Four-square

Well, another week, another email. There's a lot that's happened this week. First we got our new roommates. They're going to Equador. Funny thing is, they were originally assigned to Russia.

The 4th of July was alright. It was just like a normal day, but there was a special assembly that we went to. They gave us chimes made out of pipe and we played patriotic and pioneer songs on them. The pioneer songs confused me because it would make sense for us to have another thing for the 24th. Anyway, I wish I had gotten video of at least part of the chime stuff. It was like the entire MTC was playing "Chime Hero."

After the assembly they set us go outside (the building, not the fence) and stay up past our bedtimes to watch the Stadium of Fire fireworks. Honestly, they were pretty lame. At one point we could kind of hear Miley Cirus singing. Sort of. I forgot to bring my camera, so I can't upload the video of the finale that I got.

All of the 4th I had a bit of a sore throat. Then on Saturday it felt very much like I had a sinus infection. So, I went to the clinic yesterday (since it's closed on the weekends) and it turns out that in addition to the sinus stuff (which the doctor only told me to take dayquill and benedryl for) I have an inner-ear infection, so I got to get some amoxycillin. The ear infection was a bit of a surprise news. I haven't had one of those for years. Anyway, I'm on dayquill/benedryl and antibiotics, so I'm doing better.

Our district leader is heading down to the Republica Dominicana on Thursday. Because of this we got a new DL on Sunday. Let me preface this with my relationship with leadership positions. I don't really care for them, but they seem to have a strange attraction to me. Out of the last 7 years I have spent maybe five months not in a leadership role. As such, I was not surprised when I walked into Sacrament meeting and President Houck pulled me aside. So, now I'm the DL. Which basically means that I run meetings and get the mail. Exciting stuff.

A follow up on MTC four-square:
Sometimes Elders get bored after hours and hours of MDT (Missionary Directed Time). For example, the Elders in my District decided to play four-square in our classroom last night before planning. They drew a square on the floor with chalk and bounced a little Mundo (a stress ball in the shape of the world) around at each other. It was very exciting. The Hermanas were all every excited about it when they saw it. Well, except for the one who got disappointed when she learned that we weren't practicing verbs.

Anyway, that's all for now. I'll try to get on later today to see if I can't send some pictures/video. I'm not sure if I'll be able to, they have very strict computer systems that I am pretty sure I can't get around.

Until next week,
Elder Budge